In-House Counsel Ethics Law Forum
The firm hosts an ethics law forum each year, primarily targeted at lawyers who are in-house counsel at clients of the firm and solo or small firm practitioners who find they are close to the end of the year and need ethics credit. We typically have the law forum accredited by the Nebraska and Iowa CLE Commissions. We began this program in 2011, and originally hosted it at our Omaha office. For the past two years we have held the law forum at Gallup's riverfront office in Omaha. Attendance has steadily increased. We rarely use outside speakers so we can give our lawyers an opportunity to speak before this group.
Examples of topics we have presented in recent years include:
- Annual update on Nebraska ethics law
- Technology program. In the past this has included ethical issues in the use of new technologies and ethical issues related to encryption
- Attorney/client privilege for in-house counsel
- Communicating with lawyers and adversaries
- Threatening criminal charges in civil negotiations
- Ethical implications of tape recording communications
- Ethics of settlement negotiations
- Conducting in-house investigations of alleged wrongdoing
- Duties of outside directors/conflicts of interest
- Who retains privilege after a merger or acquisition
The Ethics Law Forum will be held on Friday, December 7, 2018 at Gallup Riverfront Campus in Omaha.